View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 07:27 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old dogs and new tricks - classic wet flies fished dry

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymark View Post
One of my favorite trout techniques with a fly rod is swinging a brace of wet flies. Once I've let the flies swing to the end of the drift, I hold them in the current and let the top fly dance on the surface while the other one bobs just below the surface behind it. This will trigger strikes from fish that were contemplating eating the bugs, but didn't take on the swing. The nice thing too - is that they tend to set the hooks themselves when they grab the fly. All you have to do is hold on.

Soft hackle wets have to be the most versatile flies around, and swinging wet flies is second only to catching fish on top with dry flies in my book.
That's how I learned to fish when I was a kid. A "cast" of three wets on a long leader, fished with a 9' cane rod.
The bottom fly is called the "point", the second and any others in the middle are the droppers and the highest one is called the "bob".
The technique is to dap the bob fly, dancing it on the surface while the point and dropper(s) anchor the rest of the cast in the current.
It's an extremely deadly method.
We used traditional winged wets of course and always the same ones. One dark, one medium and one light shaded. As I remember the point was a black gnat, and I think the others were dark and light cahills, but I don't really remember.
I do remember that the light cahill wet was my favorite fly for many years

Click the image to open in full size.