Thread: Steelhead Pics
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 05:45 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Steelhead Pics

The higher powers requested i repost this here....

Went to the Clackamas river late yesterday morning hoping to catch a steelhead. I was swinging a purple leach and hooked this big boy....

Click the image to open in full size.

17.5" and a fat 5.5" deep. Really gave my Cabelas 7wt a workout.

General consensus on local forums has it as a big Rainbow trout, from a river that according to info my other half has access to, shouldnt have a resident population of.

It seems that Mrs. Van has other ideas about it. See, she is a fisheries biologist by training and before she moved up into corporate financials she was a senior fisheries person doing salmon, steelhead and trout work that included surveys and habitat restoration. According to her the main stem of the Clackamas river does not have a resident Rainbow population. The feeder streams do however. She thinks that it is a small steelhead. So, tomorrow she is emailing the pic up to a coworker in Seattle who is a trout guy for his input. lol.

It seems my wife is coming to the rescue of my lost first steelhead. lol

I would prefer it a steelhead, but happy that it is a big fish from where it came from. Funny thing is, if i had caught this on one of the coastal rivers it would be a steelhead.

Last edited by Vans; 10-25-2011 at 06:16 PM.