View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 08:42 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: striper and blues ri

The peanut bunker (immature menhaden) that are the bait du jour this time of year are not around in the numbers that they normally are.
But butterfish have been attracting bass and blues over south county reefs for about 3 weeks.
Finger mullet seems to be the ticket in the breach ways and along the beaches, while the anchovies are schooling in the estuaries and in the lee of points.
Lots of silversides around too.
False Albacore (little Tunny) have been getting the bulk of attention for about a week. Good time to come

Like peregrines, I like a 3 part leader of about 8'. (60%, 20%, 20%)
And I use a straight 6' piece of 16-20# mono for poppers. Bluefish love poppers.
Get some of the knotable wire. Anything else is a pain.
You can attach it to the tippet and fly with normal knots like the non-slip loop,the surgeon's knot, and clinch.

Nasty weather predicted for Friday and Saturday this week.
If you like casting in highs winds (and who doesn't !) it's a good time to be fishing a 10wt.

PM me where you'll be and I try to give you some tips on where to fish.