View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 02:28 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: steelhead nymphing rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Here's how I look at technique.

Steelhead Nymphing vs Swinging Flys.mp4 - YouTube

If I really want to nymph fish, here is how I would rig my indo-rig.

From floating fly line:

2-3 feet .024" mono butt section tied to a swivel. Indicator is attached to the butt section.

5 foot section of 10 pound test Maxima Ultragreen. One end tied to the swivel. One end tied to a tippet ring.

2 foot section of 8 pound test Maxima Ultragreen. One end tied to tippet ring. One end tied to fly.

If I choose a dropper, a 1 foot section of 8 pound test Maxima Ultragreen is attached to the tippet ring with whatever dropper fly I choose.

I usually do not fish two flies.

Dennis
I also use this method. Make my own 7ft mono tapered leader add a barrel swivel then tie on 2 or so ft of flourocarbon 8 or 6lb to make it 9ft give or take. add split shot depending on depth you fish and then your fly(usually egg patterns) and a adjustable indicator so you can just tick the bottom without snagging. Also a neat tip I will share. I use this in shallower water. No indicator at all! Use the tip of your fly line as the indicator. I just cast, mend and dead drift the speed of the river and if you see your fly line stop suddenly, jerk or look unnatural then set the hook! I catch alot of steel in the spring this way.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.