View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 01:59 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is there are reason for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I'm not trying to be cross or start any argument here but is there really a need to put a fish on the reel when we're taking 2-4 weight? Gary is salmon fishing so I get it there, but even if a fish willingly takes up the slack on its own I still strip the line in. When a fish all the sudden does a kamikazi run straight at you a 3" diamter "large arbor" isn't going to be much help. The main benifit, in most trout fishing situations, to a large arbor is a little less line memory, then again if you take the time to give your line a good stretch before you wade out the coils aren't that big a deal. Just my .2 cents.
It's not really necessary, but if I have very little line out already, why not reel up 3 feet and put the fish on the drag. Or a 3 lb fish takes you for a rid on your 3 wt...it happens from time to time. But more importantly, you will have to use the reel to retrieve the line every time you use your hand to strip it off; whether it is with a fish on the other end, or reeling in the 70 feet that you just cast out, why not have a better grip than a worse one?