View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 07:32 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: cheap and effective fly tying

As Futuramille said "Having someone to guide you through the first couple helps though" it is much easier when someone shows you how. with youtube, you can watch many tying videos, and there are many listed in a couple other active threads, and thats almost as good as having someone sit with you to tie. I sometimes experiment with my flies, and my fishing buddy and I will sometimes sit down together and I will show him the pattern, or he will show me one of his patterns. Cabelas here in Reno has fly tying classes every other week that are free. Check your local trout unlimited chapter, they most likely have classes or get togethers as well, or just talk to you fly fishing buddy, if he ties, I bet he or she would be willing to show you how.

Jimbojo - I hope santa is good to you, and like I said, in the original post Cabelas has a kit on sale right now (you can get it online too!).

Sandfly, try the pattern I listed, it works, especialy during a baetis hatch, not sure why that is, but the fish hammered it at the local lakes. don't leave out the hackle, it makes a difference.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is a picture of the fly frm the recipe in the first post. It is a mixture between an arizona peacock lady and a denny's stillwater nymph and works well on our local stillwaters near reno.

Good luck and have fun tying.

d