View Single Post
Old 09-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Novice Seeks Advice for Warmwater Reel

Hi tranquilidad,

I take a little different approach to "Big" Bass fishing. I think you need a good drag that you can really apply a lot of pressure to the fish. I set the drag much higher than I would when fishing for big Trout, Salmon or Steelhead. You are talking 3 to 8 pound Bass. I have caught 8lb bass and I can tell you that is a fight. You need your 8wt rod and a drag you can almost lock down. I use 10 to 20lb leaders. I fish in Florida and some of the water you will be fishing is similar. That is water with lots of wood, grass and other break your leader stuff. You have to horse these fish out of cover. Once they are out of the cover the battle is won. Most of the time when fishing hydrilla and the fish gets into it, you will lose the fish. You will be casting heavy and big flies. Again, the 8wt is a better choice.

One problem you are going to have is this is not the best outfit for catching Crappie and Sun Fish. A 3wt is a good choice for this fishing. The 8wt is too much to get any fight from these small fish.

For a reel in the price range you are considering, with the features you have stated, take a look at these.

1. The Orvis Large Arbor Big Game.

2. The Teton Standard.

3. The Teton Tioga. I like the Teton Standard better than the Tioga.

The Teton reels are full cage reels and a lot of reel for the money. The Orvis Large Arbor is new this year and is a good reel. Any of these reels would work in Alaska or Salt Water if you ever get the chance.

If you want to save some money, the Teton Tioga would be a good reel in the $150 range.

Frank