View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 12:41 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: cheap and effective fly tying

Thanks Mark and Ard for the kind words, and others for joining in on this thread.

Ard - I checked out the 'Freight Train' in one of your previous posts - nice fly does not look "that hard" to tie, at least not as hard as some of your other patterns, and from the looks of the fish you are catching it seems very effective.

I tie a lot in the winter as well, that also tends to be when I get in the fly swaps (hint hint Mark).

With all the new members, as stated in post one, maybe we should do a swap for beginners again, or a tie along, like was done previously - one fly pattern a week, you could even have different tiers assigned for each week - focusing on easier flies to start and working up to some of the more advanced patterns, you coul post the pattern and tying recipe, post some pics or video on how to tie it, then everyone post the flies they tied up. Next week a different pattern. You would not have to have a swap, if you just wanted to do a tie-along, just get folks to own up to a specific week, with an alternate in case work or life gets in the way. I would even volunteer to sign up to teach the peacock and mallard pattern posted above (and Ill use a camera instead of a cell phone for pics). Its a pretty easy tie, and as I said, pretty effective in the local lakes.

Just a thought.

d