View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 10:34 AM

stimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to beholdstimmy7 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Trying to find a few resources...

Dave Hughes has a variety of great books on Western Flies, especially "The Complete Book of Western Hatches: An Angler's Entomology and Fly Pattern Field Guide" to learn the insects and "Trout Flies: The Tier's Reference" for patterns and instructions.

If you want Western classics (from the Pacific Northwest) look for a copy of Roy A. Patrick's "Pacific Northwest flies" published in 1966 this was the first book I owned- it's a little light on instruction but the materials are listed in order of application.

Another old but VERY CHEAP book I'll recommend is the "Noll Guide to Tying Flies" published in 1970 another one I cut my teeth on.

And if you're looking for TRUE classic old-time Western Flies, you can't beat Polly Rosborough's "Tying and Fishing the Fuzzy Nymphs", published in 1969. I was fortunate enough to spend an afternoon and evening tying with Polly.

Kaufmann's "Tying Dry Flies" and "Fly Tyer's Nymph Manual" are excellent sources