View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 08:07 PM

neversink will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tactics: Chumming from Boat in Blue Water

Peregrines,

Thanks for good resource for fishing in Japan. I'll contact Ian later this week for an exchange. I went out to full day boat fishing last Saturday with chumming mesh bag, 3 gallons bucket (for making mess), and 5 gallons bucket (for containment of vomitable odor). Found and purchased: frozen block of shrimp, frozen anchovy, and worm powder (Sanagiko).

Well... ocean was bit rough that day and last thing I wanted was to smell something disgusting. You could imagine my first physical reaction when I opened a bucket...

Joe D,

Absolutely right. There were other boats using chum in different depth, and no fish came afloat by my chum slick. The best happened was that fish did come up to middle depth (60-90 feet) which could be a result of chumming. Also, I did find the school of fish afloat in the afternoon then as you mentioned, it turned into throw the chum and cast the fly.

I gues fish stays where they feel comfortable, but I found chumming a super plus in comparison with last trip without it.

---
Please check my blog for part 1 and part 2 for the result on my end, and thank you very much for kind advice!

Now, I better find a good medicine to fight sea sick...