View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 02:59 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Czech style nymphing.. What is your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
I very seldom czech nymph...I don't like it at all...I think a fly rod is not made to use heavy nymphs.I nymph on sight most of the time it's far funnier and more exciting
You have it backwards.

I disagree completey with your categorization of Czech nymphing as using only heavy nymphs? I would say most euronymphs are no heavier than beadheads. They sink because they are slim and the leaders are thin. They also use lighter fly rods than traditional indicator nymphing. So most fly rods are actually too heavy and not too light. The all around 9 ft 5 wt is actually not flexible or sensitive for to be the best Czech rod.

The rods are most often 10 foot 4 or even 3 weights and flexible.

"my ideal rod is a 10-feet rod, class 3-4......... I cannot recommend a stiffer rod than class 6. Soft and light rods are the best because they are sensitive and take much of the load during a strike, as well as when you are running a fish. "

Fishing tips

" Recently there is a trend for using lighter rods (AFTMA 4, 3 or even 2). It is important to use a rod as light as possible, because regarding the technique of fishing with Czech nymph (fishing with the arm stretched forward, frequent casting) we feel every superfluous gram."

Czech Nymphing - Straight from the source - Global FlyFisher

There are also variations of the Euronymphing that use longer upstream and up and across casts such as French and Spanish nymphing. In these methods, no or very little fly line is cast so the rods must be limber to cast only a long leader that can be 25+ ft long.

The most popular rods are probably the Greys Streamflex 10 foot 3 and 4 weights.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy