View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Czech style nymphing.. What is your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
I rarely use euronypmhs.When I do Czech style I almost always use beadheads

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Couple days ago till I was waiting trout to start rising I fished using czech style ,and this are flies...heaviest I had in my box that was not too big for current conditions ...

Click the image to open in full size.

To get flies to sink, you can:

1. Add weight - beads or lead wire/tape on the hook shank.

2. Lessen the drag coefficient of the fly, eg, thinner with less projections and fur.

3. Use thinner leader.

4. Use lead/tungsten split shot or putty.

I use a combination of the above methods.

When fishing heavily fished waters, I believe that the fish see bead heads all the time whether with indicators or Czech style nymphing. They are the dominant fly. I believe some of the fish avoid them. So I prefer to incorporate the lead into the fly using lead tape to keep a slim nymph profile. Almost every stream will have caddis larva and these thin flies are good caddis imitators.

These flies are not head heavy as bead heads are and they ride more level in the flow. So I think their appearance is more natural. Maybe it matters not but in heavily fished rivers, a little different fly and a different presentation helps.

The images above are off the web and I tie my flies thinner with the shell back ribbed with mono, like the method below. You can add a hot spot at the thorax as in the second method.

Tying nymphs in the Czech style - Get down with it! - Global FlyFisher

Czech Nymphs in 10 Easy Steps by Jindra Lacko | | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy