View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Czech style nymphing.. What is your experience?

I've never used an 11 foot rod.

Improved construction methods now allow light rods of this length. So I think they would offer an advantage especially in the longer French and Spanish techniques of longer casts and more line to hold off of the water.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I always thought it was more of a sales pitch type of thing. But then again these Euro methods were designed around competition fishing, weren't they?
Actually you have it backwards.

The fly fishing regulations in Europe do not allow any float type indicators or weight like split shot attached to the line or leader. It is the fishing regulations that drive the competition rules and not vice versa.

So the regulations forced adding weight to the fly and not to the leader. That is why bead head flies were first used in Europe and not in the USA. Every wonder why that is so - the regulations made it so.

This is why integrated in-line coiled or colored mono indicators were developed to detect subtle movements of the leader.

Secondly some countries like Germany, Switzerland outlaw C&R. Even in countires that allow C&R, the practice is to keep and kill. So this means much fewer fish in the rivers and this means way tougher fishing. Plus you have to pay to fish in many places. You pay for a beat. So methods are developed to make sure every fish in that beat sees the fly and is caught.

Switzerland to ban catch and release fishing (Live bait and barbed hooks also banned )

Catch and Release in Germany - Fishing Forums from Anglers' Net

Suppose you recreationally have to fish under these rules. Would it make you a more effective fly fisher? That is why the Europeans dominate international competitions. The technique took off with Vladi Trzebunia of the Polish team.

The modern euronymphing technique directly resulted from Vladi Trzebunia, who won the 1989 World Fly Fishing Championship by the greatest point margin ever. His personal score was higher than the total score of the next three teams. He revolutionized European nymphing and in the last few years this method has spread to the USA. Anyone who uses the various new techniques of euronymphing has benefited. I use some of these direct line nymphing techniques and they have made me reconsider how to nymph in varying circumstances.

To answer another question, the styles of Euronymphing are not the same as high sticking or other forms of non indicator nymphing developed in the USA. The flies are different, the leader design is different, the rods used are different, the strike detection methods are more refined.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy