View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 02:18 AM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wet / Streamer Tie-Along?

Well now, I don't feel so bad about the confusion I have as a novice Fly Tyer.
This web site - Classic Wet Flies - Bergman and Beyond - Global FlyFisher - has many very inspiring fly designs. All of them are on a Mustad 3399, #8hook. This surprises me a bit, mainly because I thought the pattern calls for a #10-16, from what I gathered... Is #8 a usable size or do you think that Bob made them on a #8 to show case them?

Just to clarify, Because I think I see a typo in the previous posts:\
3399 is what pocono used in the tye along.
3906 is what Mudbug is showing in his images.
3609 is a typo???
I looked up the 3609, it seem to be a Mustad hook for dry flies...

The main reason I asked the question is because I only have Bass Pro for a local Fly fishing store. (That I know of). They don't carry much in the way of Mustad hooks. Certainly not the 9300. I checked Bass Pro on line, I don't see the 3399 or 3906 there either. I may have to buy somewhere else on line, but first, I want to make sure I know what I'm getting.

Bass Pro carries mostly gold colored hooks. I think the Leadwing Coachman looks better on a black hook because of the gold foil/tensile.

Dave