View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: To wade or not to wade?

Now this is an interesting subject!

I fished for many years on one stretch of water where wading was prohibited and several other spring creeks where it was frowned upon greatly. In these locations there were many factors at play that made learning how to fly fish from shore the practical thing to do. All of the creeks had wild trout and therefore active spawning going on in the gravel beds the year out. Browns and brook in the fall and rainbow in the spring. The gravel was always hosting a new generation of alevins or eggs so staying clear of it was imperative. Since all were springs wading would also stir up silt and that posed its own sort of threat to the developing nest beds.

Fishing from shore led to some of my more useful developments as a fisherman. Rather than plowing into the flow the rules of some and the etiquette of other streams kept me on the shore and I became more observant. I learned how to use every tree and even the high grass in the famous 'Meadows' stretch to mask my presence. I believe the most important skill I gained in those years was to perfect what I now know is called the Snap T single hand Spey cast. Being confined to shore with limited areas for any back cast at all led to learning how to send a mini lead head 8' of leader and a size 4 feather wing streamer sometimes as far as 50 feet across the creek to hit a seam with no back cast.

Even now as I fish for salmon and all other species I wade only as needed. I watch and I plan the easiest way to reach the fish without rushing into the river like a bull moose during the rut.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;