View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 08:19 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you know you have the right line for your rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcollins View Post
Right, wrong, or indifferent, since I was test casting this new 10wt and comparing it to my 9wt, I wound up measuring the first 30' of line on two differnt lines and took a Sharpie and marked a spot about a half inch all the way around the line.

After verifying the line's weight, I'd use that mark to let out just enough line past the tip top so I would cast only 30' - might be a bit overkill but I've always been a bit anal-retentive.
Be careful when lines in the 9-11wt range, especially saltwater lines. They routinely have heads longer than 30'. If your trying to cast a line with a 45' head and only using the first 30' you won't get favorable results.