View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 07:02 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fly fishing spots in Napa/Sonoma area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Ducktrooper,

You can get some fishing at Putah Creek. Here is a link to a guide. I don't know anything about the guide, good or bad. It will be at least an hour North of Napa.

Frank
Putah Creek is a good choice from Napa. Early November is a good time as the irrigation flows stop, the river level is down, and wading is an option.

Best spots:

1. The short section of pool/riffles leading into the short, steep gradient rapids downstream of the Hwy 128 crossing below the dam. There is a parking area on the west side of the river, just before the bridge, south of the highway.

2. The rapids and pools near the park parking area further east of #1. This last is before the highway takes a decided right turn towards Winters and downstream of the long slack area just below #1. There is a small daily fee to park in the park parking lot but there are also amble pull-outs along the highway west of the park parking area entrance.

Favorite flies in November will be gummy salmon eggs, Fox's Poopah, PMDs, etc. If I remember correctly from previous trips the rainbows will be building redds at that time of year (I need to check my notes on that one).

Beware of car break-ins in this area. I have never had a problem, but the general recommendation is do not take extra fly rods & equipment or leave them in your vehicle.