Thread: Big Tuna help
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Big Tuna help

Big blue water tuna, yellowfin or blue, (fish over 100 pounds) is high on my bucket list. I put together a rig last year for Alaskan Halibut on the fly, but unfortunately it didn't pan out. This summer the guide says we'll try harder. I matched a TFO Heavy Duty Blue Water Rod, which is rated up to 16 weight, with a TFO 425 Large Arbor reel. For fly line I spooled an Orvis Gen 3 WF-15-SV line, and wound on 300 yards of 50 pound Power Pro gel spun backing. For leaders I took a page from my father-in-laws Costa Rican tarpon experience. 4 foot of 40 pound Fluoro looped to a bimini twist of the same weight line looped to a 30 inch 50 pound fluoro tippet. Total leader length is 8 1/2 feet.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.