Thread: Big Tuna help
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:47 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Big Tuna help

The entire orignial post was written bass ackwards so this entire post is an edit.

I'll start again. I....

1). Sandpaper the end of the fluoro to a blunt point. Spectra fibers going over a square edge is not good.

2) I shove the fluoro up into the braid about 2 feet for leader butts

3). I scuff an area of the fluoro about 1 1/2" long at that 2 foot mark with 600 grit sandpaper before running the spectra any further up.

4) I make a superglue bump on the fluoro where it has been scuffed with very fine (600 grit) sandpaper and taper each end of the bump with a toothpick. Then let it dry solid. UV cure would probably also work fine.

5) I run the fluro futher in so the spectra goes over the bump and past it.

6) I tie a nail knot over the spectra and glue with JB adhesive.

The purpose of the tapered glue bump is to prevent the serve from slipping on the fluoro when casting. When casting, the spectra (or any hollow braid) is alternately loose then tight, and the weight of large hooks are repeatedly tugging on the serve.

The bump not only prevents the serve mechanically from slipping down the fluoro, but also takes most of the force in compression before the force even reaches the serve.

Last edited by wjc; 11-10-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: totally confused myself and wrote the proceedure I use backwards.