Thread: Big Tuna help
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 11:52 PM

fishordie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Big Tuna help

Hi Jim,

Yes, I have been doing Knotless connections for years using hollow spectra to both form a knotless end loop as well as using the finger cuff to hold the mono or flouro into the hollow spectra. I tend to use a serving vs. glue as a means to start the cuffing technique however I have always fed the mono up into the spectra much further than you are noting in order to get 100% strength at the connection. I learned from Basil of BHP who really revolutionized the concept into a commercial practice. He actually has a how to on his web site at

BHP Tackle - Wind-On Leaders - Topshots - Fluorocarbon Wind-On Leaders - Hollow Spectra

We have been doing it for years and recently a few others along with Basil have been experimenting with a shorter insertion length for the Popping market using spinners. The results appear good but not quite as good as a 3 or 4 foot insertion length however for my applications 6 - 12 inches of insertion should be good enough along with a serve. Contrary to popular belief it is the "Cuffing" action which holds the line into the hollow spectra rather than the serve, crimp or nail not. The serve only acts as a means to tighten up the cuff similar to the chinese finger trap toy used by kids.

I have been chatting with many of the fly line companies and have a fair amount of interest in creating a methodology where we can create a honest loop in the end of a fly line which will actually hold more than a few pounds of drag pressure and hopefully the kind of drag needed to catch the bigger fish we are targeting. It is the weak link between both ends of the fly line which holds the biggest concern to me and am hoping to combine the techniques we have been developing for years using conventionals and now Spinners to make something better for fly anglers. Or at least me...LOL. I find it interesting to see some great drags on fabulous reels which cannot be fully employed due to these weak links.

I have some other ideas in the mean time to blend in a loop by removing the coating from some of the braided mono cores or solid cores depending on the manufacturer and potentially create a smooth transition between the ends of the fly line buy using some hollow spectra to create the knotless loop. I have lots to think about and lots to develop but the need is absolutely here if the industry is to grow and allow anglers to catch bigger and bigger fish. It would be great, even for IGFA folks, who use 16 or 20 pound tippet, to get the full benefit of their line ratings rather than lose strength in the noted connections using an Albright, Bimini or ???.

I will also try some versions of the Bob Sands knot which is usually relegated to Spectra to mono connections but who knows. I am a newbie to this blue water thing so I still have hopes and dreams. More importantly I appear to have a bunch of industry folks more than interested to see how things progress...... or not.

In the mean time please keep the advice coming as I am a sponge and want to learn Obie Wans....

Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc View Post
I don't know how you are doing your spectra to fluro leader butt connection, but I have been scuffing the sheen off the fluoro about an inch and a half up from the end I stuff into the hollow spectra and tapering the end of it to a blunt point with sandpaper.

Then up about a half inch below where I started the scuffing, I put a drop of superglue on the fluoro so both ends are tapered - making a tapered bump on the fluoro.

Then I run the spectra over the glue bump and nail knot it just downhill of the bump, nearly touching it, (instead of using half hitches) and glue with the Jerry Brown spectra adhesive. I've been using the glue bump method for mono/dacron braid to fluoro connections for a couple years, and just switched to JB spectra on one spool (soon to be three spools) and figured I'd do the same with it.

It's probably unnecessary, just a little added insurance. The weakest part of the link in the direct fluoro, hollow braid connection - regardless of which type of braid or serve - is slippage at that junction.

Cheers,
Jim