View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 07:35 AM

sweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud ofsweetandsalt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Echo 3 & 3S Fly Rods

If you look at Anderson's "Performance Only Results" chart (taking price out of the consideration), the BVK is in the 6th slot tied with some very respectable and more costly competition. Though Anderson didn't call it a "Flats Rod" Shootout, that is esentially what it was. We have a #8 BVK which is going on its second bonefishing trip in a couple of weeks and, in large part because of its power to weight ratio but also its elusive character, it has become a favorit of my wife's. We like it best with a 1/2 size heavy or a front loaded agressive taper line. The SA Textured Magnum and RIO's #8.5 Tarpon Taper are perfect bonefishing lines for this rod.

It is hard to design/build a flats rod and nothing else I have tried from the TFO line up is close to BVK. Same goes, not only for most of the other Asian-builts but even some of the vaunted US makers; with the very notable exception of the terrific #7 - 9 rods designed by Sage and G.Loomis. Tim Rajeff, designer of the ECHO rods is, of course, the brother of Steve - designer of the G.Loomis Rods. I, again, reiterate my curiosity about the performance of his newest models and how they migh compare to the performance of the Big Boys.