View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 03:01 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: Becoming Member of 20-20 Club Can Be Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosta View Post
Only one guide on the entire San Juan that can outfish all other guides.. Andy Kim.

I've used him twice and his clients are catching so much more fish than anyone else on the river.. including the other guides. I've watched him as a client and at a distance the following days.. he is always catching fish!.. and mostly on size 22 and 24 hooks.

He is pretty arrogant overall, very specific on mending to get the fly down to the fish, and his teaching methods can rub you the wrong way, but he knows his stuff. His entemology knowledge puts him several notches above anyone else guiding there... that's why most all other guides don't like him there.

He is THAT good.
So, you have fished the San Juan so often that you have seen ALL the other guides in action several times for lengthy periods under different conditions, as well as examined each of them personally on their entomological knowledge? Frankly, that's hard to believe. I've been guided twice in all the times I've been on the San Juan - both times half-day float/half-day wade - and I would have said both guides I used - Jerry Saiz and Aaron Hyder - were the best guides on the San Juan that I have seen, but that's a long way from saying I've seen them all. Both times I was catching a lot of fish while the many other guided parties (& individual fly-fishers) around us were hardly catching any, and that's not because I'm some sort of super fly-fisherman. And, BTW, anyone who fishes the San Juan and hopes to catch anything will normally be using size 22 and smaller flies, usually nymphs/emergers, and be mending their line constantly - not to "get the fly down to the fish", but to keep line drag from causing the fly to drift unnaturally.