View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: casting techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduds View Post
thanks ARD for the response.

Also one of the things I would do is that when I would start my rollcast going back, I would have my rod tip low and have the water drag line out and then lift it up into the rollcast starting point. Well I was wondering if this is bad because I heard is causes your fly line to twist.

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
The twisting the fly line is a new one on me, when I fish with dry flies I do enough false casting to keep the fly dry. If fishing wet flies I keep the false cast to a minimum.
Any repeated OVAL casting motion like a Belgian wind cast will cause a line twist.

"Put quite simply this cast is a side cast in the back cast, followed by an overhead cast in the forward….. The disadvantage of this cast is that it throws a half twist in the line every cast. Half twists add up!"

The Belgian Cast

So if you roll cast by bringing the line back low and to the side and then cast forward overhead, I think it will twist. Same motion, same result.

If you bring the line back as in a standard roll cast with the rod overhead and then cast overhead, I think the line won't twist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduds View Post
Hello,

Well today I was fishing a lake, on the shore, and I was mainly using a wooly bugged. Anyways I know that you cast out and strip... strip until your ready to cast again. Well after I striped all the line, I would have to do several false cast or roll casts to get the same amount of line out as before. Are there any tips on how to get all that line out with not as many false casts?
Have you ever tried shooting line on the back cast as well as the forward cast?

Most folks only shoot line on the forward cast, but if you learn to shoot line on both, you cut down on the number of false casts.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Last edited by silver creek; 11-15-2011 at 01:31 PM.