View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 06:59 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Echo 3 & 3S Fly Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Pocono, I have fished the TCX #7 for a week in Acklins Isl. and loved it. I know at least two expert bonefishers that consider it among the best rods for bones ever. However, I like it with a RIO Bonefish in its rated #7. Granted it has the stuff to throw heavier line but I feel it is at its sharpest with a 7 or perhaps 7.5 line. Too bad RIO doesn't make their Tarpon lighter than 8 weight as that line in 7 (7.5) would be ideal for TCX. Overlining it slows it and dulls its reflexes, in my opinion. A 7 being smaller in diameter, with this rod's potency, would cut ever-present Bahamin wind well. I encourage you to take it out on a big lawn and try it with a few different lines. I appreciate that it is rod that requires excelent timing and strong stops to generate its potential line speed but this is a specialty rod built for few but critical casts that does not have many peers.
S&S, I fish the TCX 7 wt. with a standard 7 wt. line for Smallmouths and it responds just fine.

Here's another anecdote for you.

I was fishing on the upper Androscoggin for Smallmouths in July and had to leave the house very early in order to meet up with the other couple that we were fishing with. It was a guided trip through 6 miles of private water on the Andro. Like most guides, ours wanted to check out our basic skills at the start before we got too far from the launch ramp. My casting was absolutely awful for the first 5-10 casts, then it got better and really smoothed out later in the day when I was finding 3-4 lb. fish under branches and behind rocks while floating the middle of the river. When I got home, I wound the line back on the plastic spool and right under the taped "WF7F" was another designation "WF4F"! Yup, I'd fished that 7 wt. TCX the whole day with a 4 wt. line.

I'm starting to think that rod will do almost everything well.....

You're right about it and timing; just think how hard I had to work to get it timed correctly for that 4 wt. line

Pocono