View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 02:23 PM

hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough
Default Re: spare spool vs. whole new reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I guess you should explain why you want more spools or reels and we could go from there
i was just curious. i read a post here (wish i could find it again) of a member touching on the fact that they buy reels instead of spools, but did not expand on the subject as to not get off topic. i would have PM'd the user, but i didn't start thinking about what i read until a little later, at which point, i was unable to locate the original thread/post and decided to ask the forum outright.

i'm new to the game, so i'm just trying to figure out why people do the things they do. to me, it doesn't make sense to buy a whole new reel just for a different type/weight of line. i have a reel with WF8F line on it. if i want to fish the bottom, i would buy a spool for my existing reel to load up with the sinking line. the post i refer to above, the person replying to the topic inferred that they used to buy spools for their reels, but since, they had seen the light and buy reels instead (in not so many words).

example of my situation: i have a Lamson Litespeed 3.5x that i've spooled with floating line. i could get two extra spools (to cover intermediate and sinking lines) for the cost of a second Lamson Litespeed 3.5x. i only have one 8wt rod and do not plan on purchasing another 8wt any time soon.

from what i understand, in my situation, it wouldn't be economical to load up on reels instead of spools. with that said, i was just curious how this mystery poster justified buying reels instead of spools.

taking it a step further. let's say i have two 8wt rods. i still don't see the economical advantage of buying a second reel for it if they will never be used at the same time; i can always swap reels. again, perhaps there's something i'm not seeing/understanding (excuse my ignorance, i'm a new guy )