View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: spare spool vs. whole new reel

That's a good point Paul, I should have mentioned price when I replied but I didn't. The reason I got extra spools way back when was I was able to get them for about 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the whole reel. With my old Medalist 1495 the spool was really affordable, for the Hardy I think I paid 50 dollars for two of them.

---------- Post added at 10:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

The mystery poster may have been talking about reels that sell complete for under 100 dollars. I would not have 2 reels for 2 rods that were very similar but would use a second spool and line for the rod that required it. For instance I may use the same reel on both a 9' 7 weight and a 9' 5 weight but would need different weight lines so.......

For achieving sink rates take a look at the leader construction I described on the bottom of this thread; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html I don't use sinking lines or tips any longer but get it done by changing the length of head in the middle of my leader. By varying the butt length and tippet length along with the length of the braided head you can fish just about any depth you want without using specialty lines.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;