View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single foot guides Vs. Snake guides...

I have made rods with both. One of my favorite rods is a 5 wight with single foot guides. It has inserts. I have made them with wire single foot guides as well. They are lighter. My 12 wt. has single foot guides with inserts as well. I have never found a reason to regret my guide choice on either rod.

The advantage of single foot guides is that you have half the flex coat and half the thread. You loose some if not all of that weight advantage when you use single foot guides with inserts.

I'm not sure you can actually tell the difference when you are casting, but theoretically you have less weight in the rod, most importantly in the tip end, so the way it casts is different. How much different? I'm sure it's hard to tell.