View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Some Alaskan Fish Pictures;

Hi Dave,

Yes the speckles and color vary greatly from one river to the next. Some are similar while others host almost silver sided fish. They are spread out usually, there were three big ones hanging in the same spot throughout the fall in one spot on a river I fish often. Those 3 fish were next to impossible to catch due to the fact they were hanging with a bunch of silver salmon. I kept going after them until the water got low and I couldn't get up there in the boat any longer. I caught at least 10 - 12 salmon while trying to entice a trout and the salmon count would have been much higher but for me pulling the fly away whenever I say one coming after it.

When the weather turns cold the water drops due to the runoff freezing at night. The runs and pools still are plenty full but the riffles that may be 12 - 18" of water during the summer & fall become 4" or less when the water drops. That makes a trip 10 or 12 miles up a river pretty stressful because you can't take your eyes off the water ahead for a second or you'll have trouble. It was too far to hike in so they got a pass this year. If they survive the winter and I figure they will I'll be looking for them in the spring. They were some big rainbow trout. I have ignored the trout here for way too long and in the years ahead expect to catch more as I target them more often. It used to be I was fishing the mountains of the lower 48 and dreaming about big salmon that went crazy when you tried to reel one in. Once you get into them it's hard to think about any other species.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;