View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 12:47 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Amazing natural caster pt. 3.

What I see is a huge improvement in the forward haul over the much nicer looking, smoother previous video when Bill was standing.

I think it's amazing that he can throw 120' while kneeling - especially with grass behind - him in weather cold enough to be wearing a jacket.

On the third or forth to the last false cast he might have shot a bit too much line out, but he didn't loose it, recovered nicely and had two good back casts before the release.

I also think what looks like creep is actually a type of casting that I think can result in extremely rapid rod loading. It is not possible to tell from the video, but I think Bill is still shooting line into the backcast while moving the rod forward for the forward cast, then clamping the line after he's cocked his shoulder and when his rod hand is right around the vicinity of his shoulder.

As I've mentioned before on this site, I've been casting that way for over 40 years when fishing a long line without even realizing I was doing it. George Roberts described that method in this passage of a great article he wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Roberts "More Distance, Less Effort"
As your back cast unrolls, and running line is shooting through your fingers, let your rod tip drift backward to affect a longer forward casting arc. However, when you begin your forward stroke, you should continue to shoot running line through the fingers of your line hand. That is, the rod tip slides forward along the fly line with no load (slide loading). Your rod hand and line hand will be moving toward each other. When your hands come together, trap the running line (of which you’ve shot as much as 10 feet) with your line hand. When you trap the running line, the momentum of the rod tip moving forward coming against the momentum of the fly line shooting backward is going to pull the rod into a very abrupt, very powerful load. The rod loads instantly, rather than gradually, as it would on a conventional casting stroke.

Although both Mike and Paul Arden (two of the world's best 5 wt distance casters) do not think much of this method of casting in distance competition, it is the only way I cast when throwing a long line because of long habit. It works better for me than waiting. The timing of the forward movement as well as the clamp timing is critical, however.

Bill , if you don't get to where you want to be this winter, just remember that cold air is way denser than warm air. You tell him, Dan, if he doesn't read this.

And as I learned from Mike, low pressure days are better than nice ones, and from Paul that high humidity days are better than clear for distance. As I learned on my own, the longest casts I get when distance casing are always when I start in the heat of a blistering hot, calm, muggy day right at the beginning of my casting before the line starts wilting in the heat.

That is some amazing casting there. Throwing 120' of line while kneeling in the grass is a real feat!