View Single Post
Old 11-25-2011, 04:43 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Galvan Rush: Drag Question

Hi Jim,
I'm going to have to go out West one of these days. Tales of fish going into the backing are pretty much just a dream in Pennsylvania. The only time I went into my backing while fishing, was when I dropped a spool in the middle of a river. I was wading chest deep, and the only way to retrieve the spool was to pull on the backing until I reached the arbor knot. That was back in the days when I put 200 yards of backing on a reel. Now I'm happy with an 1/8" coating of any old backing.

My wife has line stacking issues (reels all the line onto one side of the spool), so when I buy skeletal type of reels, I get the 3.5" diameter sizes for 4 and 5wt lines. Her Galvan OB-4 hold much more line than the Rush 4, and she was using the OB this afternoon. No fish, but no line stacking problems either.

I could fully understand how weight becomes an issue with the larger sizes, but haven't looked at the charts to compare the Rush and Torque in sizes over #5. Sounds like Friday night fun....