View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 06:58 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: What is it about Steelheads....

Haven't been able to make it to the great water back east.
So can't compare the two like Ard.
I believe what difference there is, may stem from the fact these western steelies fight for their lives in the Pacific ocean.
The first time I hooked one it took directly below me on the end of the swing just like we expect. I couldn't figure how I suddenly lost near a hundred feet of line in less time than it took to blink. My jaw dropped as it jumped three feet into the air on the other side of the river, with the line buried under heavy water currents. I couldn't believe it was my fish for a second. Took close to 10 minutes to land it. Wasn't that big. maybe two feet+.
That ain't your normal rainbow.
I believe the term that covers it,"heart stopping".

Andy Burk helped me learn some steel patterns this winter. One day he leaned over my shoulder and quietly counseled me how to approach it.
He said, "Tye with respect for the fish".
It seemed to help.....

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 11-29-2011 at 11:53 PM.