View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 01:01 PM

fuzzytrout is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Allen Xa Rod Series

That's a great review, and I personally agree with everything you have said about this rod and the company. I recently made my first trip to Alaska, targeting large rainbows and Dollie Vardens, and was equipped with my new 6wt. 10-footer and the Allen 5/6 reel. After casting the Allen, I kept my 9 foot Loomis in the tube. Absolutely a dream to cast with this rod, and the action that I would call medium fast is very favorable, at least for my casting style. And the reel, as you stated, is smooth as silk, and I have an assortment of Abels, Fin-nors. The look, weight, balance, and quality workmanship built into these rods and reels outshines anything else that I know of for the price.

The Alaskan adventure yielded fantastic fish, with many of them over 24 inches in length, and not one problem with the Allen equipment. Now I own three 5/6 reels and a 7/8 Alpha II, which has yet to be put to the test. Undoubtedly, based on other reports, many from salt water anglers, that reel will perform admirably as well.

If you're not sure if you want anything from Allen, or are unsure of which product to buy, just fire off an email from their website, and Justin, the owner, will be calling or emailing you back to discuss. He's a great guy, and his prime focus seems to be creating quality products to fellow fly fishermen and women. I believe the price entry points he's created, represent fantastic values, and I imagine that prices will only go up when the volume and reputation for Allen products become more universal. I'm jumping on for more products while my pocketbook can stand it.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]