View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 06:13 AM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Replacement reel seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Hi, I have a rod that has a seat that does not fit my favorite reel. What is involved in buying a new seat and can I fit it myself if so what is involved?
You could certainly do this yourself, but if you don't intend to build rods in the future the material cost (epoxy) will probably exceed the cost of having some do it for you. A local custom rod builder would probably do this for you for very little money beyond the cost of the new reel seat. The money might be well invested versus risking making a cutting wheel slice into your rod blank.

Assuming you want to do this yourself:

Your most daunting task will be removing the current reel seat. Typically the reel seat is epoxied to the rod blank using wall tape (open weave tape for dry wall seams) wound around the blank. If you pop the butt cap off the old reel seat (it is held in place with a small amount of epoxy) you'll see the issue. Furthermore, the grip is usually inlet cut to fit around the reel seat.

BTW, I've build rods but never tried to remove a reel seat. The thought doesn't sit well.

If I were trying it myself I would take a Dremel tool with a small cutting wheel and make two or more slits through the old reel seat in full lengthwise cuts, being careful to cut only through the reel seat and not into the rod blank or overshoot and hit the handle. It is very delicate work with very little margin for error. Cut from the butt to the handle, stopping just short of the handle so as to avoid cutting the cork. Next carefully pry the old reel seat pieces off of the handle. Split the reel seat pieces at the cuts you created and then pry the pieces away from the rod blank.

Once the old reel seat is cut away you can carefully grind/sand the old epoxy and wall tape off of the rod blank.

When you have the blank relatively free of the previous reel seat and mounting material you simply wind the blank with wall tape in two spots (front and back of the reel seat) so as to fit/center the new reel seat. Wind a bit extra and then slowly remove tape, check fit, remove tape, check fit, etc., until the fit between the reel seat and handle is a nice, smooth, slip fit. Once the new reel seat's fit is tested and good, unwind the wall tape and slather it with epoxy as you rewind the wall tape back onto the blank. Place a film of expoxy inside the front and back of the new reel seat and then slide the new reel seat into place. Hold in place and allow the epoxy to cure.

The butt cap is added (epoxy) after the new reel seat is set and the epoxy cures.

Good luck.

Personally, I'd find a new favorite reel that fit the old reel seat, or I would modify my favorite reel's foot to fit the old reel seat (BTDT) before I thought about removing the old reel seat.