View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 12:03 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you know you have the right line for your rod?

I use much less scientific methods to figure out the right line for my rods, based first on my personal preferences. One thing that's helped me is to intimately get to know one brand of line and one brand of rod. To start with, I like WF lines and typically have used Rio lines, although I am now looking at trying other line brands in some of my arsenal.

A general rule of thumb but not always true is that medium-medium fast rods work best with lines that are more true to their wt designation. Rio WF examples, Gold, Trout LT. Fast action rods seem to work best with the lines that are slightly over their wt designation. Rio Grand is what I like on fast action.

With that said, it's important to note that the action will vary by manufacturer. Winston's fast action is more of a medium-medium fast by Sage terms. I also try and look at as many forums as possible and get feedback from others as well as talking to the guys in my local fly shop. This really helped me dial in the right line on a TXL that I have, had the right line from the onset. Experimentation and personal preference is key, but fly line for the most part isn't exactly cheap! One final suggestion, if your fishing buds have different lines, give them a try too and see what you think. What one person suggests isn't always the right line for a rod. Personally I like Grand on my Z Axis, but I know there are some that swear by Gold. Personal preference, casting stroke and I'm sure the type of fly you're typically fishing I'm sure both play into this. I nymph probably more than I throw dries with this rod, so Grand works well. A dry fly purist may prefer Gold.