View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 04:25 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about
Default Most embarrassing moments?

I posted a topic like this on another forum and we had a riot! We've all had some really embarrassing moments while fly fishing. This is just a thread to share some and give everyone a chuckle. Here's one of my "best" ones.

I was getting ready to fish and while unpacking my gear a gentleman came up to me and made some small talk with me about fly fishing. He seemed pretty interested in what I was doing because not too many people fly fish the Maumee River and he asked if it would be okay if he watched. I told him that it would be perfectly fine. (For some reason I always draw a crowd. Most likely people think I'm nuts for trying in this river.) Anyway, before I departed out to the middle of the river, the guy told me he had an old fly rod and asked for some lessons. I told him that wouldn't be a problem because I gave many fly casting lessons to folks.

I finally got out to the center of the river. It's pretty rocky where I fish and can be a pain sometimes. I started off casting and things were going great until one of the rocks shifted and I lost my balance just as I started my backcast. I ended up fudging the cast and got whacked in the face with a tangled mess of line and leader. As I looked up, the man promply left and I could see people giggling. I moved downstream and out of sight for a while.