View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 12:09 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Most embarrassing moments?

It wasn't fly fishing, but it was fishing, and it CERTAINLY was embarrasing!

The local PD Chief and I (I was Fire Chief then) went out for a day of trolling the channel for Summer walleye's in the tailwaters of a local hydro electric plant. After a good day of fishing (is there really ever a bad day?), we were headed back to the boat launch, talking about our catch, and the "one that got away". I had the "helm" of the 14' aluminum boat, but he was sitting a couple of seats up, facing the rear towards me, as we headed back to the lauch area.

He, like me, is a "big" guy, so the only thing that i really couldn't see well, wa directly right in from to me, as it was blocked by his profile. We will both swear on stacks of Bibles that there was no beer or other ETOH on-board either the boat or us, either!

Well, let me tell you, what a resounding thump and crash occurs when a 14' aluminum boat, being pushed by a little 15HP E-rude, SLAMS into a full-size river buey at full speed!

Fortunately, no one was hurt; no tackle broken (though it was tossed about a little), and a local welding shop was able to repair the cracked-open bow plate on the boat. (Did I mention that it was my Dad's boat, which we had borrowed? I didn't think so...)

Nothing hurt but our pride and a few bucks out of the wallets to fix the boat, but we still laugh about it whenever we get together!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky