View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 06:47 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth it too upgrade reels?

Cabelas makes two Prestige reels. The Okuma Sierra type is no longer offered, but is a very good reel. If you reel looks like the one below, it's an Okuma Sierra (Cabela's doesn't make reels ):
Click the image to open in full size.
I've owned a couple Okuma Sierra reels for 8-9 years, and they aren't going to wear out any time soon. The only upgrade you'll get in a 5wt reel that the Okuma doesn't offer is a larger arbor. If you're having line coiling problems, then it is possible to upgrade, otherwise that reel is dandy. There are Okuma SLV large arbor reels selling on ebay for $35 right now(!!!). I also have a couple of those, and they too are bullet-proof with a great drag. You won't have line coiling problems with the SLV, and the drag is more substantial than the Sierra/Prestige drag is you hook into a monster.
CLICK HERE FOR OKUMA SLV That same seller has the SLV in a 4/5 size, but I've used the 5/6 with a 4wt line and it's fine.

Assuming your Prestige looks like the picture of the Okuma Sierra, the reel has a caliper drag. The difference between a caliper drag and disc drag (in ths case) is that the disc drag is a less finicky when setting. Caliper drags can go from light to a little too heavy with a small turn of the drag knob, but I've never had any real problems with the Sierra. The SLV adjust much more quickly, however, and holds that setting all day. I've used the SLV's extensively, and they last for years without maintenance. While some will quickly point out that it's a cast reel, I've pounded my SLV's on pavement many times, and they all survived. A few years ago, it seemed like every time I took my SLV fishing, both rod and reel slide off the roof of my car, and slammed the pavement. I was driving a Caprice back then, so that's probably why.