Thread: Costa Rica
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 01:09 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Costa Rica

My father-in-law lives 6 months of the year in CR. He fishes almost exclusively for Tarpon. A few things to consider: Tarpon are only on the western coast of CR. Public access is extremely limited due to no real roads or accomodations other than the resorts. basically you need to fly in or take a boat for the last leg of the journey. The Rio Colorado River is famous for its huge Tarpon.

My FIL and I run a booking agency and book trips through several resorts and guides in CR. You really can't sight fish for Tarpon in CR. The water is deep and/or brackish/muddy. Usually the accepted method is to troll a fly behind a boat. The Tarpon can be huge, my FIL has landed as big as 198 lbs., but realistically the average size is prabably closer to 80-90 pounds, with 130-150 a real possibility. You will not only be dealing with a very strong fish, but some current in the river as well. 12 weight rods are the realistic minimum here, with 14's being well used. Reels need to hold a minimum of 250 yds of 40 pound dacron, with more being desirable. Sinking lines are the norm, but an extra floater could come in handy.

Hope this helps some. If you would like more info, PM me and I will give you the web address of our web site.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.