View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Photo Theme of the week or Month

Since this thread has more photo of the week or month content I will place yesterdays pictures here. I was about to make a run to the post office at about 1:00 PM and since it was really chilly I headed out to start the car and unplug it. We use block heaters here on both the car & truck so that when you have left one set for several days in sub zero weather they are not frozen up.

Anyway, I opened the front door and stepped out onto the porch and something caught my ear directly to my left.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Well hello there; this young of the year female moose was munching on the day lilies that were buried by snow right beside the porch. She then moved to the flower planters. We have a pair of those 1/3 wooden keg style planters out front that grow full of Violas every year.

They learn fast here, she used a hoof to scrape away the snow revealing the plant matter hidden beneath it.

Little by little she cleaned the planters off. There's one job I won't have to do this coming spring.................. The pictures were taken out the front window, we keep a wood pile right there under roof so it's handy and she was right there and frequently stepped up and looked through at us.

Mom was not far away throughout the babies visit, she trimmed all of the trees out front while her baby cleaned out the planters.

The baby was pretty tunned in on finding more plants and she patrolled the perimeter of the house until she found every one, then she headed to the bird feeder. They were here until after 5:00 and dark, then moved on.

Mom stayed close, she stayed on the edge of the woods browsing and never competed with the baby for the easy pickings.

This was very noticeable that she was allowing her young one the prime feed. The yearling got all the planters and found her way to the rhubarb, chives, lupine and clover patches. It was pretty cool having them stay for the day, usually a lone moose or a group will pass through but seldom do they stay. There had been a young male here early in the morning but he fled at the first sound we made. Before the cow and calf left the cow found her way into the piles of tree tops left from all the timber we put down in September. This is a prime food stash for a moose to wander into, all the browse from 10 mature birch trees. I'm pretty sure they bedded down on our place last night because I can't imagine they were still hungry after all that

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;