View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 02:40 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JP's flies step by step...for beginners.

AJ, another thing that the hackle fiber tail will help with is keeping the fly sitting high and dry on the water.

I don't think that a Z-lon tail has enough tensile strength to act as the back support for the fly in the water. If you land your dry properly, it's resting on the surface with just the tail and the bottom of the hackle supporting it; hook facing down. That's why you need a tail that's stiff enough to support the back end of the fly.

I use a Matarelli whip finisher to tie off my flies. With J-P's method of tying off behind the hackle, I don't have one that's long enough to tie off directly behind the hackle; which is where I want to tie it off. I also don't have one of J-P's "pen tubes", so I can't keep the hackle pulled forward while I'm finishing off the body and tying off the thread; that's the real problem! And that's the reason for the abdominal "tumor".

J-P, send in that surgeon!

As I said, these dry fly patterns of J-P's work really well on the water, float high and stay dry!

Pocono

Last edited by Pocono; 12-15-2011 at 03:01 PM.