View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: old guy problem - seeing #20 midge dries

Mike, glad to hear you are getting out...
I've gone into full time midge fishing lately. I have trouble tying them on, but can see them on the water, mostly...
I think this is one of the high bar settings in our sport..
Not a bit easy.
We generally don't bother fishing blind with a midge, due to the limitations you pointed out..
We prefer stalking a fish and getting a drift to it, hopefully this allows us to see the take.
Fishing a double dry (with one large fly, and one small) set up, is best for blind drifts.
I like to tye a white thread midge, with a clear glass bead sz. 22. This near weightless dropper can be trailed beneath a very small dry. They are often not taking the surface bugs here, but are feeding. Also fish emergers in the film. These bugs are the easiest for fish to capture, and so you get more interest from the fish. This is the best style early in the hatch. When you don't see noses, just backs, this is my most productive approach.
Later, a single dry skated. Then clumps on the surface (Griffiths gnat or special tye.), and then spinners towards the end of the days warmth on the surface, and drowned.
I'll fish a streamer earlier, or later than the hatch lasts (Before 11:00 am and after 3:00 pm.)
I search for bubble lines where fish Q up. Spotting fish from a distance (40 yrds away) and then putting on the sneak. Staying low and dropping a knee gives best results for me.
Mr. Bash is right about the skating thing. But once again, stalking first if possible.
We have low flows, and clear water, so I do mud my leader for fishing dry midges.
I have two weeks off, give me a shout if you want to walk water up here.
Caught a sweet wild bow yesterday on an egg pattern too. Nice change from midges.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 12-15-2011 at 04:47 PM.