View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 04:02 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: JP's flies step by step...for beginners.

Actually, I've found Bic pens to be very useful all around when it comes to a number of things besides writing. First, you can take the backside of the tube holding the ink and cut off a portion for holding forward the hackle without compromising the rest of the tube's ability to hold ink. Second, I used the exterior body of a Bic pen, chopped down, to make a tippet lanyard. I just ran some 550 or similar cord through the hollow center and tied slip knots on either end, which I then run on to a carabiner. Clip the thing to your pack and voila, DIY tippet lanyard. Maybe I'll take a picture of mine next time I'm using it. Had the pen, carabiner, and line laying around, so saved myself ten bucks!

As far as the dries, I will be tying more of them soon, especially since I got a hold of some proper dry fly hackle in some very small sizes.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...