View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 05:38 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: old guy problem - seeing #20 midge dries

I really can't resist this one. I'm 55 and have worn glasses since 7th grade. I've always had a problem spotting my smaller dry-fly offerings until I found a solution that really works for me. I actually came up with this for fishing my favorite spring creek with small flies since I didn't want to splat something big on the surface just to aid my poor eyesight.

I wrote about this in the Winter 2011 issue of Flyfishing & Tying Journal if any of you have that old issue (even though it says Winter 2011, it was published November of 2010). The article was titled Spring Creek Strategies and promoted the use of a Parasol Emerger fly for fishing those type of waters.

I found that using a Parasol Emerger fly as an indicator fly doesn't spook fish as much as a regular strike indicator or larger dry fly.

My modification for this method with tiny dry flies is to tie on the Parasol fly and then attach a piece of tippet directly to the bend of the hook on the Parasol. I usually go from 20 to 30-inches of tippet to my smaller offering to which I attach the smaller midge or emerger with a non-slip loop knot. The Parasol Emerger doesn't seem to spook the feeding fish, usually will pick up a couple of fish itself, and it serves as a beacon for me to orient where my smaller fly is located in the drift.

Give it a try, it works great for my old and tired eyes.

Parasol Emerger fly in a midge:
Click the image to open in full size.

Trailed by something like the following:

KG's EPF Foam Emerger BWO:

KG's EPF Foam Emerger Midge:

KG's CDC Parasol Midge:

Good luck in figuring the "I can't see it" dilemma, I'm afraid it just gets worse with age...

Kelly.