View Single Post
Old 11-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Are you fishing for Brook Trout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
sure on those streams, but most streams here where i am are all wild brook trout streams small fish.. of course on pine we get big browns..
Where are you at? The streams I mentioned are not very large excepting Fishing Creek, and all but Fishing Creek are wild fish. Many of the fish in Fishing Creek are stream born but the hatchery affects one's ability to make claims of any one fishes origins.

I know that a guy caught that giant breeder below the hatchery back in 94' or 95' but all of my catches there were under 16". Slate has some big ones even up Francis Branch but the Hammersley Fork had it's glory days back in the seventies and prior. I caught so nice ones back in the mid nineties there but they were far scarcer than they were 25 years before.

Here the closest relative we have to the Brook Trout is the Arctic Char and the ever popular Dolly Varden Char. I miss Brook Trout fishing at this time of year. The Char sometimes can be easy but often in the smaller streams they are perplexing. I don't use the Oatman Minnow here for them, I use a Nine Three and if I'm careful not to be seen they hammer it. Never lament over the size of Brookies, some of us have none.