View Single Post
Old 12-17-2011, 02:50 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future
Default Re: JP's flies step by step...for beginners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Here are a couple more of J-P's JPB Olive pattern. The ink tube pen trick from Gator really helped with the back-of-the-hackle tie-off. Hold off on that surgeon, J-P, I think I've found a way to get the tumor out of the abdomen.

This one is Cahill yellow, with mediium pardo CDL tail and cree hackle:

Click the image to open in full size.

This one is a "snowball" (all white) tie; a little heavy on the wing, but it seems to balance out OK on the hackle and tail:

Click the image to open in full size.

Pocono
JP, I really like this pattern! Love the thread body, I've always thought dubbing small mayflies is counterproductive, and you've come with a process that makes the whole thing so simply and clean...the tie off behind the hackle.

Allan, those are really nice looking flies, what are you using for thread? The bodies are great. On the tall wing, this is something that I will write a longer post about later, but I've been re-reading Gary LaFontaine's seminal work, The Dry Fly. He went further than any modern angler to study trout, flies, and how trout interact and react with flies. He did a lot of underwater observation and one of the many things he learned was that the wing is major trigger for trout. Further, he liked an over-sized wing when trout are refusing an offering during a hatch. He explains how the standard practice of going down a size when trout are refusing what should be a matching fly doesn't always work, he says you should go down a hook size but up a wing size.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this excellent thread. I am going to tie a pile of these...Thanks!