View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 06:30 PM

jdub is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I dont quite understand the reasoning behind SAGE'S BASS ROD..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFlorida FlyGuy View Post
Another question. Couldn't I just pickup a TFO 9ft. 8wt with some 10-11wt line and achieve similar results as the SAGE BASS ROD? Wouldnt I get even more distance on my casts with wind resistant flies and poppers on a 9' rod??
I have the Smallmouth version and really like the way it handles. I also have a Sage XP 9' 7wt, and to me the XP is more tiring to cast. It's hard to explain but I can sidearm 'flick' 40-50' casts with almost no effort (and no haul) with the Smallmouth rod. It doesn't carry large amounts of line well but it's ridiculously easy to shoot line. It's also a lot easier to cast really large flies than my XP (and yeah, I know the XP isn't a bass rod ).

You might be able to get the same effect by using the Sage line on an 8' 8wt (effectively overlining the rod), but you might have to try several rods to get the same kind of action.

Oh, one more thing. If you're looking for a "delicate presentation" this is not the rod for you.

Try one out if you get a chance. It's a very different action than other rods that I've tried, and it took me a little while to get smooth with it, but it's a lot of fun! What else matters?

Regards,

Jerry