View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Snaggy is on a distinguished road
Default Here's how my brain works...

I get a bit excited and frantic when it comes to fly fishing. I started this post and it seems I need to slow down a bit but sooner or later I would like to attempt some of these more difficult works of art. Here's the thread I originally called Grey Ghost shopping list...

After viewing a few "classic" flies I thought I'd do some research and found a bit o' history on the grey ghost. I found a nice looking one through the Orvis Website (not nearly as nice as a few I saw in this forum) and C/P'd this...

Name-Gray Ghost Streamer

Difficulty-5

Popular sizes-06, 08, 10, 12

Hook Type-6 x long streamer

Thread-Black 6/0

Body-Orange floss with flat silver tinsel tag.

Ribbing-Flat silver tinsel

Wing-4 gray saddle hackles over golden pheasant crest curving downward

Other Materials-Throat: 3 or 4 strands of peacock herl over sparse bunch of white bucktail over golden pheasant crest curving upward.

Shoulders: silver pheasant body feathers.

Cheek: jungle cock

Notes Most tiers leave off the difficult-to-find and illegal-to-import jungle cock.

The Jungle Cock or JC seems a bit expensive but I did find some online places that sell 10 or so individual ones for 7 dollars. Are there other alternatives other than leaving it off altogether? The JC really makes the fly.
So far I have the 6/0 thread and silver tinsel. Everything else minus the JC should be obtainable at the fly shops around here.

I also have no idea what "Wing-4 gray saddle hackles over golden pheasant crest curving downward" is. I'm guessing there are many different wing designs and different materials used. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Should I start with something simpler with similar materials and process?

Could someone recommend WHAT I should start out with. Hook size...etc. I've tied a boat load of streamers, wooly buggers, nymphs and other hackle/maribou flies but nothing like these with the cheeks and wings and shoulders.

The skill level says 5 so don't laugh when I post my first one.

<((((~{