View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 06:30 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riverside Christmas trees recycled into fish homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
Because of surface to mass ratio, and because of weight of equal volume of "tree" to water, I would have presumed that a Christmas tree would float , or at least maintain some bouyancy when the ice goes out... At least until it gets completely waterlogged and sinks, but by then, what guarantee is there that it will be in the same location? Am I wrong, or what am I missing??? Are you attaching a weight to sink the tree?
They actually sink. We did the same at the local boyscout camp last year. The boys mapped their tree by using three points of visual reference and went back to fish "their" spot in the spring. By the time we dumped the trees they were so dried out they were basically logs and sank right to the bottom.