View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly cast without flies is great, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackroze View Post
I cast and it feels all jerky. ...
This sounds like a timing problem. Are you able to watch your backcast, and do you?

Quote:
I am unable to false cast because it feels like the weight pulls the line to the water on anything over 30ish feet. So what I have been doing is shooting at about 10-15 feet and watching the line kerplunk into the water....
Steve Rajeff couldn't do a 100' cast shooting at about 10-15 feet. This is part of the problem. You need to carry a lot more line before you shoot.

Quote:
I try to false cast longer than 15' or so, the line will drop into the water behind causing un-necessary slack which then ends up being one heck of a mess... including a sharp pain in the backside, if you know what I mean.......
This definetely sounds like a timing problem and a line speed problem. Again I have to ask have you ever measured those "I can shoot 80-100ft no problem" casts before? The reason I ask is because it seems like if you can, the previous problems are really unexplainable.

Two last questions, do you double haul? What exactly do you have for a line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
By bubble indicator, do mean a thingamabobber?
I want to know that one to. A Prince Nymph is not going to make a difference so the bobber must be knocking off 50' or better from your cast. What kind of bobber are you talking about here?