View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Telescopic to straight stick?

Thanks for the input. I'll check out those deals. Bet I can find a good rod there. If not, at least there are a couple UK models I can get reasonable shipping on.

Since you asked, fish call is when the ship slows down or drops anchor somewhere and the Captain lets us fish off the ship. I was always on carriers, so a fly rod was a pain, but it can be done. We would lower an aircraft elevator down close to the water and I would clear the area behind me so nobody got hit on the back cast.

I also carried a Shakespeare telescopic spinning rod just in case, so that helped too. Like I said, I'm pretty brand loyal because I have NEVER lost a fish due to the rod. Sure, I've lost plenty due to my bad knot tying skills, poor drag setting, and personal ineptitude, but who hasn't?

I have contacted Shakespeare USA to let them know they are missing the boat with quality in the US market. I don't expect to ever hear from them, but they really should consider that a foam grip and plastic reel seat just doesn't cut it.

I noticed that the Pflueger reels and rods are sold as Shakespeare reels and rods in the UK. For instance, the Pflueger Trion is the Shakespeare Trion in Europe. Very strange, because the quality difference between Pflueger and Shakespeare in the US is fairly obvious. Well, the British Ugly Stik looks the same, and I've never broken one of those, come to think of it (aside from slamming the tailgate on one).

Norwich Harbor, huh? I was convinced that all the stripers in that water were too small to keep. I've probably caught a thousand little ones on the Shetucket and Thames rivers. And I've thrown everything at them. Maybe it's just me. On the up side, I have pulled in some great smallies in the attempt.